Sunday, February 17, 2008

Out of the corner of our eyes...

Yesterday, Husband and I had to do some shopping. So we loaded up the kids and headed to the shopping mall area. I needed gas so we pulled into this little gas station.

As Husband and I were fighting the wind, waiting for the receipt, she approached us from the drivers side of the van. She began with how she saw us here, and that she doesn't see many families out. And how she wanted to pass on information of God's Kingdom to us.

Yup, that's right, we were hit up by a Jehovah's Witness while pumping gas. And there was no place to hide.

Husband explained that we were Catholic and after a few more kind words, we were on our way. Then we got to talking about religion. Really talking. And while we both are pretty tolerant of different religion, we both agree that we don't like being approached and having religion forced on us. It's just weird.

Has anyone else ever been approached outside of home?

2 comments:

Fairly Odd Mother said...

When I was a teen, I was at the beach with one of my best friends. We were hanging out when a girl appeared and started talking to us. She was our age and, other than being very friendly, just like any other teenage girl. It wasn't until we had talked for a while that she started in on religion. It got pretty intense, especially when it was clear we weren't "buying" what she was "selling". That left a very bad taste in my mouth b/c I felt almost used.

toyfoto said...

My mother tells me that when we were really little a JW couple came to the door. My father was away at training/seminar thing for work and she was kind of bored (and I guess there was some sort of serial killer on the loose) so she was a also slightly nervous to be alone. So she -- a devout Catholic -- invited the people in and gave them cookies and lemonade.

Every time they wanted to leave she'd ask another question. She kept them prisoner this way for about four hours.

No one ever came again.