Sunday, August 30, 2009

Kindergarten

Here's a letter I sent as a cover to some friends.

"Many of us moms sent our kids back to school this week. For some of us, the summer went by way to quick, and we weren't ready to make that transition back to school - especially with all the rain we had. For some, school got out late last June and started this week - not nearly as long as we'd like. For others of us, we couldn't wait to see our kids back to school. Either school got out early last June or our kids were getting bored. For many of us, we'll be giving up that freedom of the summer schedule - no schedule no worries. We'll be trading in our bathing suits and sunblock for soccer, dance and scouts. For football and cheerleading. Schedules will be dictated by the ringing of the school bell. Mornings which for the last 8 weeks were a leisurely wake up, with a cup of coffee and cartoons, will be a blur of breakfast and getting dressed and packing bags, to make sure we hit that bus or make it to school on time. Some of us moms have just kissed our youngest child on the forehead as they head off for kindergarten. Bittersweet, our days are now filled with silence and not in the best way. For us, it's time to turn a new page in our roles as stay at home mothers."

Wednesday, I sent Moe off to kindergarten. last week, she was going 1/2 days, this week she'll be going for full days. I have been a stay at home mom for the past 7 1/2 years, minus the first 7 months for Einey's life. For me, this is my first time without kids. Way back in time, after I started staying home, I thought I would be going back to school when my kids were in school. The goal was for me to get a degree in nursing. And it's still something I'd like to do. However, Husband is in school right now. He'll be in school for the next two years. And there is no way we can afford to send five of us to school (although technically, we're not paying for Husband to go to school, however, he's not working overtime right now). So for now, I'm going o continue subbing in the local public school district and keep my eye on any jobs that come around.

Sending Moe off to school was easier then I thought. I was a wreck when I sent my oldest. I thought for sure that I would be a little weepy as I sent Moe through the door, in her little line of friends. Instead, it was Moe who clung to me at the last moment, not quite sure that she wanted to go it. With a few extra hugs, she released her grip on me and headed on her way. She's growing fast, it's hard to believe that in a few short weeks, she'll turn five.

I'm excited for her. For me. For us. There are so many things going on and so many paths we are walking on. But they will all come together soon. Until then, we keep on walking, where ever the paths lead us.

Edit 8/31: Day 4 was not a good start.

No comments: