Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Morning Kindness

I have a secret.

Sometimes, after dropping Eenie and Meenie off at school, Moe and I go to a quite coffee shop and relax with a cup of coffee (hot chocolate or juice for her) and a breakfast treat. It's our little thing. It took us awhile to do this, I had been hesitant to go, ever since the incidence last year when I would take Meenie and Moe for a treat after dance class.

Today, we did our grocery shopping and stopped in at one of the local coffee places. You know, one with real tables and doesn't have the word "donuts" in it's name. A quick scan of the place showed that there was one couch with no real table left or one of the 3 1/2 foot tall bistro tables. We opted for the tall table and after she placed her order, I sat her up on one of the seats with her snack. As I was waiting for my coffee, yet standing close to Moe in case she decided to try and hop down, a man approached me. "Ma'am, you can have my table - as he gestured to the now empty regular sized table - I'd hate to see her fall." As I thanked him and helped Moe climb down and carry her food over to the table, I thought about nice it was for this stranger to offer up his spot. It was refreshing to see someone who wasn't caught up in his own little world, take the time and offer a stranger a hand.

And on the way out, another gentleman held the door for Moe and I. I know it's not much, but it's nice to see that chivalry isn't gone. Maybe it was karma coming back around - I recently gave a person behind me in line at TRU an extra $10 off gift card I got as a promotion that I wouldn't use by the expiration date (I tend to get doubles so often I just hand them to the person behind me, or with alot of items). What ever it was, it's little rays of kindness like this which puts a little faith back into humanity in my eyes.

4 comments:

Tania said...

I'll buy into the karma theory. Also, that's a nice little thing you and Moe have going on with the coffee shop.

PinksandBluesGirls said...

What a beautiful post!

Believe it or not, it reminded me of a little film that I watched in my driver's education class when I was 15 years old. (By the way, that's more than 4o years ago. Yikes.)

The theme of the film was courteous driving... you know, if you follow rules, allow other drivers to ease into traffic, etc., then all will be well in the automotive world. But, if you cut people off, speed up inappropriately, swear and gesture... well, the entire universe goes astray.

I have never forgotten that little lesson. And it carries over into every aspect of my life. Each kindness is met with kindness. And each kindness multiples.

What a wonderful way to have spent a little time with Moe... witnessing the kindness of others! Love it!

Sharon - Pinks & Blues

Life As I Know It said...

Nice!
I love going out for coffee with my 3 year old too. Just him and me!

Anonymous said...

I love when little acts of kindness restore my faith in humankind! :)

And your little morning tradition with Moe is so sweet! :)

Jane, Pinks & Blues