Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Fall foods

Fall is my favorite season. I love the sights, the smells, the aroma of autumn. I got married under a golden hued autumn canopy. I love hiking when the leaves crunch under my feet. I love driving through the hills and seeing the patchwork trees in the distance.



Cooking in the fall takes a new turn. I don't mind baking. Or letting stews and soups simmer in the crock pot, ready to be eaten around our busy soccer schedule. And one thing my kids always ask for is pumpkin pancakes when the days turn shorter and the air gets cooler.



Today, the kids had a day off of school. It's cool, it's rainy - just the type of day that makes you want to curl up and spend the day inside. Off hand, I said to The Big Kid "I wonder how pumpkin french toast would taste". A quick trip to the grocery store and we were ready to cook. They were very scrumptious. A post on Facebook and people wanted the recipe. So here it is.

Pumpkin French Toast

Ingredients *:
1 1/2 packages of cream cheese (we used fat free)
4 ounces of canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon sugar
bread
eggs milk

Directions:

Mix your egg and milk together (as you would for regular french toast). Set aside.

In a bowl, mix cream cheese, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice and sugar. Spread on one slice of bread. Top with another slice of bread. Dip in egg mixture. Put it in a frying pan for about a minute - then flip over for another minute (or until thoroughly cooked)

Top with syrup, butter, whipped cream or powdered sugar.

Pumpkin pancakes

Use your favorite pancake recipe (even from a box). I prefer the recipe in my BHG cookbook. Add 4 ounces of canned pumpkin to your mix. And cook as the directions dictate.

Enjoy!


* measurements are estimates- a tad more or less may be required depending on your tastebuds

1 comment:

Chris Cactus said...

Gotta admit I'm more of a summer guy but I'm really looking forward to fall this year.