Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Settling In

Today was day four of Moe's preschool year. The first three days, she happily ran off to her classroom with a kiss and wave goodbye. This morning, she came back for a second kiss. And then a third. And then a fourth. Then she reached for a hug and the tears started to flow. I had to hand her over, crying to the teacher, after prying her little hands from my shirt and walk out the door. I knew it's what I had to do. And I'd been there before. Not with my other girls, but back when I worked in a preschool. I knew she would be fine when I walked out the door. And she was. They say she cried for a few minutes.

I think part of it was because a few of her friends were sad this morning. She even carried one little girls bag in because she was so upset, so she walked with her friend and helped her. Meenie didn't want to leave me on days when her friends were sad.

When I picked her up, she was all smiles. She ran over to me and jumped up into my arms. She happily told me about her day. She had a good day (unlike yesterday where she missed recess because she refused to do her work and they were trying to get her to finish it).

It's just so hard to walk away when there are tears involved.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

Oh, that is so sad, but you are right - they are fine after a few minutes. She sounds very empathetic to her friends. Leaving my kids at daycare everyday for years has definitely taught me that they get over it soon enough.

Jenifer said...

Ugh... I hate that. I have counted my lucky starts that so far Paige has been literally jumping for joy when the bus gets here in the morning. it makes me glad that my oldest is so outgoing because when the others start school they will have her to help show them the way :)

Sarahviz said...

This happened with my Baby too. Days 1-3, he was fine. Day 4 was when he started crying.

It's heartbreaking.