Thursday, April 30, 2009

Meet Baby


This is Baby. We found Baby on our front step this afternoon. His little gray body trembled in the early afternoon breeze. He was scared and all alone, his cries loud and strong. We tried leaving him alone, hoping his mom would come back for him.

I later found him in the middle of the driveway and then again, about to fall off a ledge. Each time, I moved him back near a bush near where we originally found him. By mid afternoon, he was shivering and not moving much. I wrapped him in a cloth and put a jar or warm water under him in a box on the porch. I fed him some sugar water. It seemed to perk him up.

We took him to the soccer field with us and nestled him up in a tree. By this time, as I was walking across the field, he had regained some energy and was climbing up my arm. And when the girls went to check on him, he was gone.

I like to hope that he'll live out his days running free. But in reality, I don't even know if he'll make it through the night. All I know is that I couldn't watch him die.

Good-bye Baby, we'll be watching for you!

1 comment:

Suburb Sierra said...

They are awfully cute when they are helpless like that - when they are big and fat and eating all my birdseed, I'm not so sympathetic :) Looks like you had a great weekend.