Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Ways to beat the heat

While replying to a blog post, I realized I had enough material to make my own post about ways to beat the heat. For those of us in New England, it comes the day the heat wave is supposed to break (I'm sorry, my brains were fried the last few days!). Days like the past few, it was even too hot to go to the lake to go swimming - especially since it was all out in the sun.

Give the kids paint brushes with the containers of water and let them "paint" the deck (and anything they want on it). My girls LOVE it! They paint the house, the deck, flower pots, furniture, the grill. Each other.

Or give them some different sized Tupperware containers and cups to fill. Or use water droppers.

And freeze some small toys (animals, dinosaurs, plastic jewelry, etc) in plastic cups and let them dig them out with spoons.

Let them take their Polly Pockets, Barbies, My Little Pony's or Superheroes out and give them a swimming pool. Polly Pocket loves to swim too!

If you have a glass door (like to a deck) or windows in easy reach, give them some foam tub toys and let them stick them to the glass.

Take out the tub toys.

If they have a toy fishing rod, give them objects the fish out of a bucket.

Give them objects and let them conduct sink/float tests. If you give them a piece of paper, they can write their results down.

Water Balloons - they just need to pick up after themselves!

Super soaker's. Juts make sure they all have the same one/same size or you'll hear arguments.

Turn on a sprinkler.

And if all else fails, give them ice cream for dinner. Not that I know anything about that. cough, cough, Monday night. cough, cough

Cross-posted at New England Mamas.

2 comments:

PinksandBluesGirls said...

OMG! I love the "if all else fails!" that had me laughing!! That's a great one!! This heat is getting AWFUL!! Today was supposed to be cooler... not the case!! I swear you get burned just walking from your car to the house!
- Audrey

PinksandBluesGirls said...

I LOVE all of your suggestions! I've never thought of the fishing pole... and with grandchildren who spend a lot of time on my deck, it will be great! I also love the frozen toys... you are GOOD!!

I was just thinking about what I did when I was a kid... (many, many years ago!)! I don't think there is anything more fun than buckets and pans and pails of water!

Thanks for a wonderful post.

-Sharon