Saturday, August 19, 2006

Lazy Days of Summer

This summer has been strangely relaxing. Gone are the days when I am endlessly rushing around. We have spent the majority of this summer tending to the gardens in the yard, visiting local playgrounds and swimming in the local lake. This is the first year where I can work in my gardens without having to keep an eagle eye on the girls. I guiltily find my self eagerly awaiting the start of school (something I dreaded only months ago) because I will finally have 2 FULL HOURS to myself while Einey enjoys full day kindergarten and the two younger girls nap. I have not had 10 minutes to myself, let alone 2 hours during the day in 4 1/2 years.

I actually was able to plant vegetables in my garden this year. I cleared the area by hand, caught Poison Ivy more times this summer than anyone should ever catch (6 times at last count) and have finally seen some results. While not all the plants took, we will have cucumbers, peas, tomatoes, squash and possibly pumpkins and eggplant by the time the summer is over. And I learned a few things along the way: start planting earlier than the end of June, do not reach under cucumber leaves with out checking for Poison Ivy, and woodchucks like to eat plants.

In the evenings, My Equal and I have been taking the girls to a local lake before dinner. We go in the evening and relax on the tranquil beach, help the older two practice what they learned during swimming lessons. It is quiet with the few other families there and cooler as the sun goes down. We stay for about 2 hours and then go home and have a relaxing dinner and then it's off to bed for the wee ones. It has been a great way to end the day!

No comments: