Saturday, August 26, 2006

Pluto

Recently, scientists have redefined the definition of a planet. For Pluto, it means it is no longer a planet, but now a newly defined "dwarf planet".

So what does that mean? Do I have to remove Pluto from our solar system diorama hanging in the playroom? Do I need to make up new lyrics to be sung about 8 planets instead of nine?

And the mnemonic aid used by most school children to remember the order of the planets in relationship to the sun will no longer be able to be used.:

My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizza's
(Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto)

How about:

Many Very Exited Jugglers Stop Under Nests ?
Just doesn't flow as well.

And songs to remember the planets:

"There are nine planets in the solar system, Mercury is the hottest and closest to the sun....Mars is the red one...Jupiter has rings....And Pluto is the smallest and furthest from the sun. "
(unfortunately I cannot remember all the lyrics, although I can hear it in my head. I remember learning it all to long ago in kindergarten).

Those are all going to have to be changed.

Science always changing, redefining the world around you.

No comments: