Friday, September 28, 2007

A is for Apples


We've all heard the saying "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade". But what do you do when life* hands you 20 plus pounds of apples?

The girls and I went apple picking Wednesday afternoon at a local orchard. It was 90+ degrees and we were wearing shorts and tee shirts. There was sweat rolling down their little faces. It wasn't typical autumn in New England. Apple picking is supposed to be done in sweaters and jeans, while breathing the fresh, cool air. Sampling the crisp, cool apples as you walk from tree to tree, trying to find just the right apples to pick. Our foray was anything but that.

So back to my question, just what do you do with 20+ pounds of apples?
Wednesday night I made some homemade applesauce.
There's the obvious apple crisp, apple butter and apple pie.
But I think I am going to attempt to make apple cookies, apple brownies and apple crisp pizza. Maybe some baked stuffed apples.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Now if the heat would just go away so I felt like baking....

* And by life, I mean Einey, Meenie and Moe


4 comments:

One Mother with Cancer said...

Today is my two year anniversary from being diagnosed with cancer; please visit my site to see how I’m doing.

Fairly Odd Mother said...

Um, ok I feel a little awkward talking about apples with the comment above, but here goes: we make an apple cake that is soooo great and soooo easy. Email me and I'll send you the recipe. The kids can help you cut up the apples b/c they can be any size and they can use little butter or cheese knives. Otherwise, we just worked through our own 20+ pounds, one chomp at a time!

Lisa said...

How about caramel apples? Or dried apple chips?

Creative-Type Dad said...

20lbs!!!

Bake me a few apples pies.

I'll be waiting by my mailbox