Sunday, January 18, 2009

Tomorrow's the day, the three ring circus rolls into town.

Tomorrow is Inauguration Day. And while most people will sit glued to their TV,s computers and phones (or stand in the crowds in DC), I will not. I'm hoping to avoid the whole three ring circus. I didn't vote for Obama (despite pleas from Moe). And while I'm not a fan of the man, I will support him. I have hopes, like many Americans, that he'll help out our country. He has the charisma to win over many people, but I'd like to think that there is more to him then just another pretty face. Although American's are shallow like that. And since his whol "change" [platform has invovled rehiring or keeping on old cabinet members, yeah.... So much for change. Iraq? Well maybe we won't pull out as soon as I said we would. Bush's tax plan? Well I'll just let it run out in 2010 instead of changing it. Yeah, so much for change.

That being said, I'm still trying to wrap my brains around a few things. It's no secret that our nation, our world, is in a recession. A recession that cannot be blamed on just one person. A recession that has cost many people their jobs, their homes, their lives. It's no secret that times are hard. Many people do not have to look much further then away from their immediate surrounds to see this. So why the fuck, is this whole three ring circus inauguration costing more than $150 million . I'm sorry, but one would think the man who ran on the change platform, who wants to help the economy, would, I don't know, be a bit more conservative.

Not to mention, furniture is being delivered to the White House. The bed alone, ordered from a local New England company, has a price tag of $12,500.

So yeah, apparently the way to lead the country is to party hard. Who cares about money anyway?

Wish us luck....

2 comments:

Major Bedhead said...

http://mediamatters.org/columns/200901170003

That breaks down the cost of the inauguration.

Suburb Sierra said...

Hopefully you caught some of the ceremony - if nothing else, it is an amazing "where were you when?" moment you can share with the girls down the road.