Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Two weeks...

Two weeks. Fourteen days. That's the first day of school. I'd like to say that I'm looking forward to it, and in a way, I am, but... In reality, the girls have overall, been great this summer. And they've been home a long time - since the beginning of June. And I thought they would get on my nerves alot, but that's only happened a few times. Husband starts vacation tomorrow, and he's off until they go back to school. So hopefully we'll get some things finished. Things we couldn't do the month of July when the girls were sick. And hopefully, now that it's stopped raining (been 2 weeks) we can get out more.

So, while I think the kids are missing their friends, I've realized how much I like our laize-faire lifestyle. No plans, wake up when you want, and do what you want days. Hitting the beach or staying in your pj's all day. It's been fun, with out needing a clock to answer to - and half the time, I haven't even realized what day it was! I know it will be a huge transition to get used to being up, fed and out the door by 8:15 every morning.

Plus, this is my first year with no kids. Well, no kids three mornings a week. While I love spending time with Moe, I think she needs to be around other kids and other adults. I think she (and I) am ready (see Binky, I can do it!). Next year, I'll be on the search for a job. Or going back to school. It all depends on what Husband's work situation is like at that time and whether he's working or in school (finally!!!).

So back to what I haven't done. I haven't ordered any new uniforms. Most of the stuff I need is winter gear, so I should be able to squeak by on ordering until September at least. Except, she wants the new jumper. The new jumper is ugly. Real ugly. I haven't gotten Meenie or Moe any new school clothes yet. I'm sort of waiting until Target opens in October. That and they are just going to be wearing shorts the first few weeks anyway. I did make them some new skirts and dresses (before I broke my sewing machine - need to get it fixed as Moe's first day of school outfit is not done) since I hate trying to find one's that I think are an acceptable length without spending an arm and a leg on them.

I did order Moe's backpack and lunch box and Meenies lunch box. Einey and Meenie are reusing their old backpacks/lunch box. Meenie got a new lunch box this year as she cannot seem to remember that if you open a juice box, throw it away!

I have brought everything on their back to school lists. Well almost everything...

Here's what we needed to supply.

Second Grade:
  • 5 No. 2 Pencils Please Sharpen (need to pull some out of the pencil box here)
  • 3 Black Erasable Pens
  • 2 Red Pens
  • 1 Large Eraser
  • 1 Pair of Scissors
  • 3 Glue Sticks
  • 1 Box of 24 Crayons
  • 1 Box of 8 Washable Markers
  • 2 Thin Blue Whiteboard markers (were a pain in the ass to find)
  • 2 Marbled Journal Notebooks (not marbled but still composition notebooks)
  • 1 Plastic Shoe Box to hold Supplies
  • 5 Folders with Pockets (5? Yikes!)
  • 1 Box of Zip-Lock Quart Size Bags
  • 1 Box of Tissues
  • 1 Container of Disinfecting Wipes
  • 1 Hand Held Pencil Sharpener

Kindergarten:
  • Backpack
  • 1 Pocket Folder with name clearly visible on front
  • 1 pair blunt Fiskars scissors
  • Art Shirt (Need to buy a new shirt with intent of it getting destroyed!)
  • Box of 16 Crayola Crayons
  • Box of Kleenex
  • 1 Set Wide Washable Markers
  • 1 Set of Watercolor paints and brush
  • $10 for items for Oriental Trading
  • 1 Pencil
  • 1 Sponge
  • 2 (4 oz) White Elmers Glue
  • 1 Container of Disinfecting Wipes
  • 4 Glue Sticks
  • 12x12 top loading scrapbook
  • 3 boxes of clear adhesive dots (packed 300 or more)
  • $10 for scrap booking supplies
  • Nap Mat if she's going to nap (she's not)
These are broken up to send in over three days.

Preschool:

I haven't gotten that list yet, but if I remember correctly, it's only a few items.

Next weekend, we have our annual back to school party planned. But I'm not sure what I'm doing for games this time, I know I want to do something with books. So, I still need to order a ton of books. Books for preschoolers, kindergarteners, first, second and fourth graders, as well as a few for younger siblings. I pretty much know what I am buying, but could use some advice for the fourth graders. Anyone? Last year I did a school supply scavenger hunt and it was fun, I just wanted something different this year.

Anyway, 14 more days...

2 comments:

Mouthy Girl said...

Scrapbooking supplies?
Moolah for Oriental Trading Company?

Sheesh, I'm lucky if my students come on the first day with a couple of pencils and loose leaf.

I'll go through some of my lists for books and send you some ideas for the 4th graders.

Stimey said...

5 pencils?! I had to supply 40. At least they're not making me sharpen mine.

I'm counting days too.