Sunday, November 02, 2008

Waking up is hard to do, especially an hour earlier

Last night was the end of DST. In reality, I should have gotten an extra hour of sleep. So of course, it was the first night in weeks that I tossed in turned and woke up frequently most of the night. Life's a bitch that way.

Of course, with changing the clocks, it now means my kids wake at 6:00 am. I'm sure many of you are shaking your heads, but people, I'm used to hauling their little behinds out of bed around 7:30 am and rushing to get ready to school. I'm sure you'll think I appreciate the extra hour to hour and a half in the morning, but in reality, it means that their more time for them to get distracted before school with the TV. Of course, it also means we won't be having "breakfast to go" as often. And I can actually shower before school as opposed to after I drop the off in the morning.

But I don't look forward to the other half of the day. I'm not looking forward to it getting dark at 5:30 tonight. It means just a mere two and a half hours after the girls get home to sleep, it will be too dark to play outside. Sure, we don't have soccer anymore, but as any mom knows, those late afternoon hours are the worst. I'd prefer my extra hour of day at the end of the day, thank you very much.

Of course, it also means that I can start putting the girls to bed at 6:30 tonight. So I guess there is a bright side. I'm sure my almost seven year old with pitch a fit when I tell them it's time to head to bed.

especially

4 comments:

Stimey said...

My kids don't have school again until Wednesday, so by the time they go back, they'll have gotten used to the time change and they won't be waking up early with extra time anymore.

Tracee Sioux, Sioux Ink: Soul Purpose Publishing said...

Wait, how come you get to put the kids to bed early?

I thought "extra hour" too - then my kids got up at their normal time and came to bug me an hour earlier. Trying to tell your 2 year old it's 5 am is futile as he builds blocks on your back.

Kate said...

Tonight it's hitting my kids miserably. We normally have a 4:00 homework rule, followed by playing outside until dinner. We may need to reverse those if I want any hope at all of th getting the energy out and not making us all completely mad by bedtime.

**Early** bedtime.

Tania said...

I just miss the childless days when I simply got an extra hour of sleep and felt good about it.